The colder weather, the holiday desserts and the large comfy sweaters are taking over our closets. While the weather and wardrobe are changing with the seasons, our desire for a healthy lifestyle has not wavered.
However, you do not need to spend hours at the gym cranking out hundreds of crunches or sweating it out on the cardio equipment to achieve the body you want. Instead, Dina Castillo, fitness expert and owner of On Another Level, suggests breaking down the components of fitness to achieve the results you are looking for.
"Your body, nutrition goals, and results can be a complicated and confusing process if you are jumping in without a plan, prior workout experience, or a professional to assist you. The overwhelming amount of information and fads that are present in this industry make it hard to know what will benefit you personally and what you are looking to accomplish. These tips are meant to simplify your routine and are ideal for the person looking to feel more confident and/or tone up their physique!"
The first step to making any change is by firstly changing your mindset. You have to mentally believe that you can and then act upon what you want.
"Set your goals, both long term and short term, and then set up a realistic timeline. Pull out your calendar, see what is feasible with your schedule and what you can actually fit in. Do not expect anything to happen overnight - the key is consistency. Do something everyday that works towards your short and long term goal. Then, write down one thing, your Call To Action (CTA), that you can incorporate into your daily living starting tomorrow. For example : "Tomorrow, I am going to take my water bottle with me everywhere I go because I want to drink more water and aim to get in 64+ounces of water."
"Once you are determined and focused on what you want to achieve, the next step is to get your body moving. Whether you have 10 minutes or 60 minutes in a day, you have the opportunity to make yourself stronger, leaner, more flexible, and to improve upon what you did the day before."
"Your body is smart in that it will build muscle memory and add on to what you did the day or workout prior. When working out, incorporate these three tips:
- Choose Full Body Exercises: The more muscle groups working, the more your heart rate increases, the more calories you burn and the quicker your body can see results. Example: Squat to Press with Rotation
- Limit Rest Time: Between exercise, keep your body moving to keep your heart rate up and stay in the aerobic/fat burning zone.
- Add in Cardio Bursts: Instead of a complete rest in between resistance exercises, add in short 2030 second interval cardio bursts. (Ex: jumping jacks, squat thrusts)(If you are not lifting weights, start incorporating them in, check out the list of all the benefits!)"
"In addition to working the total body with exercise, results are ultimately made in the kitchen. Proper nutrition and clean eating have a major effect on the results that you see or do not see. While the holiday parties filled your calendar and bowlsof candy and cookies are around every corner, keep these nutrition thoughts top of mind to stay on track:
- Keep hydrated! Aim to drink more water. Start your day with a full glass to help detoxify, cleanse and replenish your body. CTA: Always have a water bottle with you.
- Eat Clean & Unprocessed: Keep i t simple, if it grows from the ground it will be better for you! CTA: Incorporate a fruit or veggie portion with every meal.
- Fuel Your Body Don’t get caught up on counting calories if it is tedious for you. Focus on feeding your body every few hours to keep your metabolism going and keep it clean."
"There can be a lot of information out there, but remember to keep your personal plan simple. Focus on one or two things, perfect it and then move on to the next, whether it is an exercise goal or a nutrition habit. Too much too soon can be overwhelming and discouraging. Share your goals publicly to stay accountable and achieve success.
Dina Castillo is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCACSCS) and holds a degree in Exercise & Sports Science. Dina has been in the fitness industry for the last 13 years and has built wellness programs and coached employees for Harpo Studios, Aon Insurance, and the Federal Aviation Administration while also traveling internationally with youth soccer players.
As a mother, she understands the demands of worklife balance and is certified as a Perinatal Fitness Instructor Healthy Moms. Dina is also a nationally qualified NPC Bikini Competitor, is certified through TRX and is becoming a Regional Master Instructor for BOSU. Dina is the owner of On Another Level and the creator of the Wedding Boot Camp program.
For more tips and free workouts, check out www.dinacastillo.com!