How To Clean Your Sneakers in 6 Easy Steps
Posted on avril 07 2016
With spring finally upon us it’s about that time to whip out your cute activewear and take your workouts outside! Being outdoors for a workout sure is refreshing, although it’s certainly not enjoyable to watch your expensive and favourite pair of fitness shoes become soiled and outworn; that’s why we’re sharing with you a sure and simple way to keep your running gear in tip top shape this season! So if you’re just breaking out your bad boy sneakers from hibernating all winter that need a pick-me-up or if you decided to take a run in rainy weather and happened to catch yourself in some mud, we’ve got you covered!
What you’ll need: toothbrush, baking soda, pillowcase, 4 safety pins, some paper towel/hand cloths, liquid laundry detergent and a washing machine of course!Step 1
- Remove the laces. If the laces don’t seem redeemable they luckily aren’t expensive to replace so you can easily go out and purchase a new pair!
- If you do decide to wash the laces, tie the ends of each lace together to form a loop, this way they are less likely to get tangled up or get stuck in the mechanism. (If the laces are white, feel free to wash them separately in a normal wash along with other white laundry.)
- Using a stiff toothbrush, scrub off any excess dirt around the shoe. Make sure to get into all those tiny nooks and crannies!
- For those hard to reach spots and grooves, use a q-tip dipped in some baking soda and a little bit of warm water. Finally, to get rid of any scuff marks the Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean works fabulously!
- Place the shoes (& laces) into a lightweight pillowcase.
- Take the open end of the pillowcase and use 3-4 safety pins to fasten it shut, leaving a few openings to allow water to flow through.
- Place the pillowcase into the washing machine with 1 or 2 towels; this prevents the shoes from banging around in the machine.
- Add your detergent and set your washing machine to the ‘delicate’ setting with cold water. Start the machine and let those babies whirl!
- NEVER put your shoes in the dryer. The incredibly high heat can totally warp the shape of your shoes and we wouldn’t want that now would we?! Instead, ensure to stuff them loosely with small hand towels or paper towel (try not to use newspaper as the ink can possibly rub off onto the material) to retain the shape of the shoe.
- Place them in a well-ventilated environment and allow them to air dry for several hours. Be sure not to put them in direct sunlight as this could also alter the shape.
- Once the shoes have dried, hop into your workout attire, lace up & go!
We told you it was simple!
Tip: If you’re apprehensive about putting your snazzy sneakers in the washing machine, as they are brand new and/or quite pricey, you may want to go the hand-washing route. Simply use a toothbrush and liquid detergent in some warm water and start scrubbing!