Recipe: French Onion Soup
Posted on janvier 01 2019
Making truly authentic French Onion Soup is easier than you think! This wonderful, simple and flavourful soup is the perfect warm dish for winter!
- 1 1/2 pounds onions (about 3 large onions), thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 piece celery just a small chunk, not the whole rib
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 slices French Baguettes
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic , halved
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese , fresh grated
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Add butter and onions to a large pot over medium heat. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until softened.
- Add sugar and continue to gently stir until onions become golden brown and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Careful to not let them burn!
- Add the flour and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add beef stock, wine, thyme, celery and bay leaves. Cook partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter on both sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flipping to the other side half way through. Remove from oven and rub a cut clove of garlic onto each piece of bread.
- Turn oven to BROIL.
- Remove bay leaves and the piece of celery from the soup and ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls.
- Place the toasted bread on top of each bowl. Depending on the size of your bowls you may need two slices of bread.
- Sprinkle the tops generously with both types of cheese. Broil until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Bon Appetite!
See more recipes here at: